July 19, 2010

Grease is no longer the word for Steve Mohr, class of 1960


Steve Mohr is retired and lives in Southern California. He spent most of his high school leisure time working at Charlie's Garage on Newbridge Road, developed skills repairing cars and built a career and business in Southern California as a result. The shot of young Steve was taken when he was eight-years old.

In a December 2004 class newsletter published by Frank Barning, Steve Mohr wrote....

Levittown was a magical, special place in time that we all were so fortunate to have been a part. My family moved from the Bronx in 1950 to 103 Kingfisher Road, 1949 ranch. My two older sisters and myself attended Northside School as did most all of us, 4th through 6th. Mr. Henabry, Mr. Marassa, Mr. Donavan. I also recall Mr. Miranda and Miss Stahman.

One of the great memories of that time was the scout troop that some of us belonged to. It would meet each Friday night in the school basement. There were several patrols within the troop, each with a patrol leader. My patrol leader was none other than Tommy Paturzo. I see from his photo that he still is one, and very good at it I'm sure. I wonder if he remembers the Panther patrol of troop 322 or the night while standing at attention for a long time on a hot summer night, passing out and splitting his chin open on the basement floor STILL at attention. Thanks to his unselfish sacrifice, we all got to sit down.

The next 6 years at DAHS has to be the greatest time of my life. The best teachers, namely Mr Chenevey who said to me when we first met, “You have a lot to live up to Mohr.” He had my sisters before me and they were smart. Anyway I stayed in his classes all throughout and did well, thanks to Lilette Levy doing my homework. Mr. Keating and Miss Eisenhauer also played a big part in hammering things into my thick skull.

As graduation neared I learned that I was accepted at Cornell, but in my great wisdom I thought it better to stay with my girlfriend and continue to work at Charlie’s gas station on Newbridge Road. What a genius. I can still see the disbelief on the guidance counselor's face, although he tried little to change my mind. Can't remember his name though.

Senior year was most memorable and our lunch table was one for the record. There was Arnie Mark, Kenny Ganim, crazy Warren Zaretsky and myself. One day we dared Warren to throw a milk container at the teacher in charge, not sure but I think it was Mr. Simes. Naturally after giving it a great deal of thought, he did it. I don't know how we never got arrested. Those were some great times and went by far to fast.

After graduation life shot past faster than a speeding bullet, and I'm sure I am not alone in that reflection. After a brief tumultuous marriage, the light finally went on, although dimly. I relocated in California where my family had moved years earlier, met and married the most wonderful, giving, "patient" girl, and for 37 years have known how and what a marriage is supposed to be. We have raised 4 great kids who all live within 100 miles or so. Close but not too close, if you know what I mean.

In the middle of all this I earned a commercial pilots certificate, bought a small plane and did some free lance commercial flying. Got interested in sailing and built a 55ft. ketch cruising yacht in our back yard. After 7 years, we launched “The Linda Marie”. We lived aboard her for more than a decade and sailed to Hawaii and around the Pacific for almost a year. When we returned home we had 20,000 miles under her keel. Sadly we sold her some 10 years ago, but it was time.

We now have a beautiful home overlooking the ocean and Catalina Island, and the time has come to wash these hands and hang up the tools one last time. The shop is sold and at the end of this year, I will sit down for the first time in 45 years, to spend the rest of my days with my “Linda Marie” wrapped in my arms while watching those magnificent sunsets. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: