September 18, 2010

Comments concerning the Class of 1960's 50th reunion


Lilette Levy Bagwin, 1960
I had a great time. It was fantastic to see everyone and to hear about what people are doing and thinking. It was great being with people all our age. Nobody could criticize a senior moment since we all had them.

I was especially excited to see Karen Judge and Joan Lucas. They were my sorority sisters. It was also fantastic to talk to Dewain Lanfear about teaching. I loved talking to Geoffrey Eisenbarth, Don Davidson, Susan Eisenberg Zwerling, Peter File and Cliff Fromm. It brought back so many memories.

I loved the Levittown Museum visit. I felt like I was back at home in my kitchen as there was a full size model of a Levittown ranch kitchen with the stainless steel cabinets and sink. There was even a refrigerator with the little freezer door inside. The TV in the wall was something I had forgotten about and then I saw it.

Cliff Fromm, 1960
At the DAHS reunion I was thrilled to see Jay Citrin. His parents and grandmother and my parents were good friends. Jay and I went to Hebrew School together and were active in the youth group. Both of us joined the Navy right out of high school. I think this is the first reunion he went to as I looked for him at the earlier ones. My sister, Michelle, attended the reunion and she was as happy to see Jay as I was. We all gave each other a big hug.

I was also very happy to see Susan Zwerling. It's a small world as Stephen Zwerling's mother and my mother were friends when they were young girls back in the Brooklyn days. I can't leave out Don Davidson. He's such a nice guy that you can't help but feel good when he's around.

Wally Linder, 1961
There was a football reunion in the Spring of this year, and many members of the class of 1961 went to that reunion. As a result many people were missing. Anyway this reunion was poorly attended by the class of '61, so I was kinda disappointed. I was thrilled to see some of the guys that I grew up with, in the old neighborhood, but there were still too many missing.

Pat Stanley Share, 1962
The reunion was pretty special, I was delighted to see some who have not been to other reunions, Jane Patten was one, she was a beautiful girl and has grown into a lovely woman and I was so glad to spend time with her, we were both thinking her brother Ross might surprise us but he was unable to make it.

It was fun talking with Tom Dubose and George Fox, George has had an interesting life, working in Washington DC as an adviser to big wigs! Also seeing my cousin Evie who is married to Dave Winters is always nice, Chez became the table bartender, he is such a sweet guy. And, in general, just seeing so many, get together, there must have been close to 200 from different classes.
________________________________________________________

Several class of 1963 graduates got together at the Milleridge Inn during the reunion weekend in August. Len Sandok provides his thoughts......
The occasion of a 47-year high school reunion is probably reason enough to look back and reflect on your life. I did just that over the last the past few weeks. I have to say that I am a very lucky person. There are many small things and a few big things that I regret and that I would do differently if I had the chance. (No, I’m not going to go into them here and now.) For the most part I am satisfied with my life. However, after the reunion weekend, I know that I would have made the effort to get to know all of you better in high school and stayed in touch for the last 47 years.

I pondered the question of why I felt so strongly the friendship we experienced at the reunion, after all – we had just reconnected. Was it because we have a similar background? No, there are many with similar backgrounds with whom I would not care to spend five minutes. I wondered if it was because we all hold similar political beliefs. I decided that was not the reason either. I am not sure if that statement is true and there are times when I enjoy being around people who believe differently than I do and I like discussing thing with them because I learn from them.

So what was it that drew us together? The answer is “friendship”! I believe that you can not pick your friends. There is a non-tangible amorphous something that makes friends -friends. I don’t know what it is, but it was felt by my wife Ellen and me. It was there, I felt it. While my life was rich, I cannot help but feel as if it would have been richer had we seen each other from time to time.

No comments: