April 18, 2011

Division Avenue student Jack Ellerkamp returned as a social studies teacher





Two members of Division Avenue High School's class of 1960 returned to their alma mater as teachers, at least as far as your blogger knows. Today we get a glimpse of Jack Ellerkamp, including a recent picture and photos from the 1960 and 1975 yearbooks. The next blog post will feature his classmate, Dewain Lanfear.

ABOUT JACK ELLERKAMP, CLASS OF 1960
Went to St. John’s University and carpooled with Dotty Caggiano, Jerry Reichert and Tom Mitchko for a while.

Taught social studies at Division from 1972-75.

Still working…Brookhaven National Laboratory…Project Engineer…having too much fun to retire.

Lives in Remsenburg, New York with his wife of 41 years, Ulla.

Quote from Jack: "It seems like only yesterday when Frank Barning, Bob Castro, Pete Cybriwsky, others whom I can’t recall, and I met near Hofstra for a few beers while I was going for my masters." It was nearly 40 years ago.
__________________

Yearbook photo from 1975 courtesy of Larry Loewy.

1 comment:

Kneatsley said...

Jack's dad (Big Jack)and my dad coached our minor league baseball team, Oakfield Dairy. Jack's younger brother, Bobby, was on it. I think we went 0 and something that year. In any event, Jack taught me how to use the baseball scorebook for which I shall always be in his debt.