May 13, 2011

Do you remember David Peyton and Helen Sileo? They taught at Division Avenue High School for decades.




Click on pix to enlarge

By FRANK BARNING

Approximately 18 Division Avenue High School faculty and staff members from the late 1950s and early 1960s were still working at the school in 1975. Larry Loewy, class of 1975, provided photos of the DAHS old timers that appeared in the 1975 yearbook. We've included shots from the 1960 yearbook. This is the second installment of "Do you remember . . .?

Featured today are photos of David Peyton and Helen Sileo. I know nothing about Mrs. Sileo except that the 1960 and 1975 yearbooks list her as chairman, business department in 1960 but not explained 15 years later. An internet search found that she is deceased, as are Reta Drumm and Assistant Principal Eugene Aiello who were featured in part one of this blog series a few days ago.

Mr. Peyton, long-time industrial arts department chairman passed away on January 2 of this year. If you took driver ed. when it was first offered at DAHS, your teacher was probably Mr. Peyton.

Our blog had a story about Mr. Peyton soon after his death and several of his students offered fond memories.

COMMENTS FROM MR. PEYTON'S STUDENTS

Tim Lavey '63: I was saddened on multiple levels to hear from Jeff Peyton '61 that his father, David Peyton, had passed away . He was a wonderful role model and teacher at Division Avenue High School and he was a close family friend.

Jim Anton '61: I was lucky enough to have Mr. Peyton for shop. He was a dedicated teacher.

Marilyn Monsrud Frese '63: I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Peyton. He will be remembered fondly by so many people whose life he touched. I had the privilege of getting to know him better when I worked at Division Avenue.

Mark Rotker '67: He was a good guy. Had him for print shop in jr. high and then in driver ed. Played sports all year so I had to take it in the summer. Mr. Peyton asks who wants to drive first, so of course I volunteer. Pull out of the parking lot behind the school onto Division Avenue. There are just three of us guys plus him. Figure he's gonna take us behind Mays on the first day. Nope. Left on Division, right onto Hempstead Turnpike, right onto Merrick Avenue (past Salisbury Park) and right onto Old Country Road. Pretty gutsy on his part, but lotsa fun. Amazing he lasted so long after all those years teaching kids to drive in those situations.

Arnie Galeota '61: Mr. Peyton was a great man who left a tremendous legacy.

MR. PEYTON'S OBITUARY IN NEWSDAY

David Peyton of New York on January 2, 2011. Born July 13, 1923, in New York City, Mr. Peyton lived in Levittown, Oak Beach, and Manhattan. He taught industrial arts at Division Avenue High School in Levittown and jewelry-making at the Bulova School in Queens.

David was a WWII Air Force veteran who flew missions as a tail gunner with the 9th Air Force based in England. Loving father of Ellen Volpe of Huntington Station, NY and Jeffrey Peyton of Richmond, Virginia. Cherished father-in-law of Eugene Brown and Rita Peyton, grandfather of Jared Volpe, his wife Carolyn Conner, and Zachary, David, and Joseph Peyton, and great-granddaughter Genevieve. David was preceded in death by his loving wife, Sybil, and devoted companion in later life, Blanche Hess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lou Zinser 1965-66

Frank, helen sileo was a true professional teacher and chairperson. My wife became the chairperson who replaced Helen. Helen became a great source of info while teaching at Hofstra after her retirement. My wife Pris Zinser was the chairperson for 20 yrs and retired 8 yrs ago.
Keep up the great work frank, look forward to your blogs. Many of my friends from Division who i have informed also love your blog

Henry Cohen said...

Mr. Peyton taught my Dad (Herman Cohen) jewelry making at the Bulova School in 1946. Dad had Town Jewelers on Hempstead Tpk from 1950-54, it was right near St. Bernard's. I had him for metal shop. In 1972, my senior year, I was in an accident with one of the school's brand-new 1972 Ford Galaxies - there were two other students plus the teacher in the car. I was hit-and-run so I never hot in trouble, but boy it sure gave my classmates a good laugh at my expense.

Dave Aboulafia said...

I worked with David Peyton at the Joseph Bulova School in the early 80's.

David Peyton was a great man and a consummate professional, a true teacher, talented, kind and patient in all ways.

I find myself thinking about him after all these years, I don't know why.

He was my friend. He guided me as he did students.

He is missed.

Dave Aboulafia