July 25, 2011
More vintage photos of Division Avenue High School kids; do you remember Freedomland?
Click on photos to enlarge
Shown here are:
* Don Davidson, class of 1960, age six in 1949. He was a Hopalong Cassidy fan.
* Howard Whidden, class of 1962, visits Santa in 1951 at Macy's in Herald Square.
* Marilyn Monsrud, class of 1963, age two.
* Louise Nicolosi Hayn, class of 1960, first communion.
* Toni Crescenzo Gelfer, class of 1968, at Freedomland in 1961 in her Sea Scouts uniform.
Do you remember Freedomland? Toni's picture might give you a flashback. Many Levittown dads drove their families to the park.
According to Wikipedia: Freedomland U.S.A. (usually just called Freedomland) was a short-lived, U.S. history-themed amusement park in the Baychester area in the northeastern part of the Borough of The Bronx, New York City. Its slogan was "The World's Largest Entertainment Center" (later, "The World's Largest Outdoor Family Entertainment Center"). Freedomland opened on June 19, 1960. It closed at the end of the 1964 season when it failed to make a profit.