Click on photo to enlarge
Front: Sandy Adams
First row: x, Carol Klass, Bob Bond
Others: Bobby O'Brian, MaryAnn Scala, Linda Kenley, Carole Arnesen, Joe Guidice, George Fox, Betty Barger, David Ruder, Marcia Feinberg, Carol Howell, John Smiros, Billy Jack, Bob Smith, Margaret O'Neil, Billy Goldman, Danny LaPadula.
A HISTORY LESSON
In the earliest years of Levittown, the school population exploded and there were not enough classrooms while at the same time there was a shortage of teachers. Numerous substitute teacher were used to fill the void. This photo is from the 1951-52 school year.
According to Lynne Matarrese in "The History of Levittown, New York", "By the fall of 1951, 1,200 kindergarteners were still on triple session and grades one through seven were on double session. In 1951, Northside School was erected and Summit Lane quickly followed, opening in 1952. The first high school, Levittown Memorial, was built on Abbey Lane and opened in 1953."
As a result, the children in this photo were in a sparkling new building. Many had changed schools two or three times before Northside was opened. Some graduated from Division Avenue High School in 1960. They finally had stability and after elementary school, that quality continued because they attended Division Avenue for both junior high and high school if their families remained in Levittown. Many families moved away.
Amazingly, this photo is almost 60-years old. Therefore, so is Northside School.
Thank you to Sandy Adams for sharing this photo from her collection of memories.