August 9, 2011

WILL YOU LIVE TO THE AGE OF 80?



Here's something to think about.

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well for my age." I had just turned 68.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live to be 80?" He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?" "Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either."

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?" I said, "Not much... my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy."

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?" "No, I don't," I said. He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have lots of sex?" '"No," I said.

He looked at me and said, "Then, why do you even give a shit?"
____

Author unknown

No comments: